Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Niddle's Sweet Potato Fries - Recipe #5

This week's recipe is a little late. I was busy with concerts and didn't have time to devote to many of my resolutions.

Niddle sent me a recipe last month for his version of sweet potato fries. The PM and I discovered the joy of sweet potatoes several months ago, but until now we've only been getting them as frozen fries. Time to branch out.


One large sweet potato
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Chili powder
Paprika
Cumin
Salt


- Skin the sweet potato and cut into 1 inch cubes or fries


- Toss potato pieces with olive oil, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and salt.


- Place potato pieces on a greased baking sheet.


- Bake at 400 degrees, stirring/flipping occasionally for about 15 minutes.

Review:

I have two more sweet potatoes sitting in my kitchen, so I'm going to try this recipe again, turning the potato into cubes instead of fries. Because I used olive oil and because I HATE the sound of my smoke detector going off, I didn't bake them at Niddle's recommended 415 degrees since extra virgin olive oil can smoke around 405 degrees (or so the interwebs told me). That might have made a difference. My fries were limp, as can be expected from sweet potato fries that are baked, but some of the smaller ones burned. I'll update the review when I see how the cubed version turns out.

The seasoning was great, the cumin smelled awesome and the fries had a really nice flavor. Niddle recommended eating them with ranch dressing, his wife The Tech likes ketchup. I used ketchup this time around.

Netflix rating:

Me: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment