Friday, February 25, 2011

Yummy Mushroom Caps - Recipe #6

I'm playing catch-up (ketchup) with some of my New Year's Resolutions. Things got a little weird these past two weeks with some apartment battles.

This recipe was really called "Appetizer Stuffed Mushrooms," but that is a lame name for how yummy these things were. Behold:


12 large fresh mushrooms
2 tbs finely chopped green onion
2 tbs finely chopped green pepper
1 tbs butter or margarine
1 slice bread, toasted and cut into cubes
1/3 cup of fresh mozzarella, cut into cubes
1/4 tsp dried onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt
some pepper
some paprika
olive oil
a sprig or two of fresh thyme
grated parmesan cheese


- Remove stems from mushrooms. Set caps on a greased baking sheet.
- Finely chop 1/2 cup of the stems and the onions and green pepper.


- In a skillet, sauté the chopped mushroom stems, onion, and green pepper in butter over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and the mushroom liquid has evaporated.


- Stir in the dried onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika. Reduce heat to low.
- Cut up the toasted bread and the mozzarella into rough cubes.


- Stir in the toast cubes and mozzarella cheese, cook on low only long enough to soften up parts of the toast and to start melting the cheese. Add a little drizzle of olive oil at this point if the mixture seems too dry.


- Carefully spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle a bit of fresh thyme on each cap.


- Bake uncovered at 425 degrees or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving, serve hot.

Review:

Dang these are good. I ended up sprinkling the thyme on top of the caps because I forgot them when I put in the rest of the spices. I like it, so it stays that way.These were pretty easy to make. I had halved the recipe I found and thought I got the numbers wrong when I saw how little there was of the mushroom stem/onion/green pepper mixture, but the bread really filled it out. The bread was awesome in these things. I didn't use a slice of regular sandwich bread, I had some fresh baguette from the co-op, so I broke of the end of that to toast and chop up. The toasty bits stayed crunchy and the rest of the bread soaked up some of the mushroom liquid while they baked. It was a great combination. I think the spices were perfect. Perfect.

Netflix Rating:
Me:  5.0
PM: 5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment