Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Portobello Mushroom Puffs - Recipe #2

Last year I bought a package of puff pastry dough (frozen) on a lark. I never used it, so for the second recipe of the year it is making it's debut in my kitchen.


The recipe is mostly from the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry website. I tweaked what they had on there.

2 tablespoons butter
3.5 cups portobello mushrooms, chopped
2.5 cups white mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon chipped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 of a 17.3-ounce Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets package (1 sheet), thawed
1 egg, beaten


- Preheat oven to 375
- Lightly grease 12 (2.5 inch) muffin-pan cups
- Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until the liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. (Note: I used my food processor to chop up my mushrooms, hence they are super chopped.)


- Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the cheese, thyme, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Unfold the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry into a 12x16 inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 12 (4 inch) squares.


- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the mushroom mixture onto the center of each pastry square. Brush the edges with the egg.


- Fold the edges to the center over the filling and twist tightly to seal, fanning out the corners. HA! I could barely get the corners and edges to stick together in any fashion, let alone a fancy fashion.
- Place the pastries in the muffin-pan cups and brush with the egg.


- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.


- I toasted some dried, chopped white onion and sprinkled that along with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar dressing and grated parmesan cheese on top of the finished product.

Review:

I thought the thyme was too strong and overpowered the mushroom mixture. The PM said he couldn't taste the thyme, and he appreciated that the mushrooms had a meaty texture (probably because I super chopped them?). I think the filling needed more cheese and maybe one more flavor to compete with the strong mushroom presence - maybe sundried tomatoes or spinach or something. I'll have to try another experiment with the other sheet of puff pastry dough that is still in my freezer. Stay tuned. . .

Netflix Rating:
Me: 3.0
PM: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment